Dr Alastair Benbow of GSK does have some serious answering to do. He has to explain in detail why public comments he made were truthful (or otherwise). If not truthful, he has to explain whether he lied, was duped by his employer, or whether he failed to examine the facts before making public statements. He has to respond in detail both as a scientist and as a medical doctor. And he has to respond in public. It is inappropriate for a public scientific figure to claim harassment when asked to justify crucial (and potentially lethal) public scientific statements that he made.
More and more decent people out there are linking in to this story. That’s a great show of solidarity against completely inappropriate action by a corporate bully that hasn't even begun to address the scientific questions it has been asked. Here is a primer to some of those questions. There are many others.
Bloggers discussing the intimidation of a patient, Bob Fiddaman, by GlaxoSmithKline
- Does GSK Love Bad Publicity? (Clin Psych Blog)
- Video sets GlaxoSmithKline Hounds to Intimidate British Blogger (AHRP Blog)
- This U.S.A. blog supports Bob Fiddaman (Soulful Sepulcher)
- Glaxo Smith Kline (Bipolar Blast)
- It's Groundhog Day for bullying by GlaxoSmithKline over Seroxat (Scientific Misconduct Blog)
- GSK Lawyers target Seroxat campaigner Bob Fiddaman (Seroxat Secrets)
- Tony Nunn
- Intimidation: a standard tactic? (Matt Holford)
- Glaxo Goes After British Blogger's Video (Furious Seasons)
- GSK Video - The Aftermath
- BLOGSCAN - GSK Lawyers Have Paxil Video Taken Down
- Missisyphus’s Weblog: Bob fiddaman’s video about paxil
- An Angry Blogger And Free Speech (Ed Silverman of Pharmalot and the Star-Ledger of New Jersey)
- Pharma Freaks Out, Fiddaman Under Fire
- Coalition Of Parents Enduring Suicide
- SSRI Forum: GSK, helping people feel threatened
Please let me know if anybody has any more links and we’ll add them in.
I encourage you to spread the links to those blogs discussing this threat to Fiddaman. To make life a little easier, here’s some cut and paste code which I’ll also keep updated. Stick it in your blog post and the list will appear (just drag through and select all the text in the box from the start to the end of the scrollbox, right click and copy to the clipboard, and then post into your blog post after your own comments).