The advertisements stated:
- "Vets know catering to all your cats' different needs isn't easy ... 8 out of 10 vets recommend Iams
- Voted No.1 recommended dry cat food brand available in supermarkets
- Small print at the bottom of the ad stated "*Based on an independent survey of vets at the Congress of the British Small Animal Veterinary Association on complete dry cat foods available in supermarkets (April 2007)".
- The survey asked vets if they would recommend any dry dog food, dry cat food or wet cat food brands. Only 31% of the participating vets (31% of 334) in fact recommended Iams.
- Furthermore, the survey questions allowed participants to select a number of brands; they did not select only one brand.
- Two other brands had more recommendations but these brands were available in pet food shops.
- 80% of vets who recommended a brand of dry cat food available in supermarkets included Iams amongst the selection of products recommended, but not necessarily over those other products
Tutorial: Try to reconstruct the statistics from the ASA report.
See here for Collated Micro-Statistics Tutorials