Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Blogs versus power - Paul Blackburn of GSK resigns from Ofsted

Paul Blackburn, GSK Vice president has resigned from the Ofsted board in the last few hours over "the activities of his employer" (see background here)



See here

From: enquiries@ofsted.gov.uk
To: fiddaman64
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 1:22 PM
Subject: Fw: Appointment of GSK Vice President to Ofsted

Dear Mr Fiddaman

Further to my email to you this morning, please be advised as follows:

Paul Blackburn resigned as a non executive member of the Ofsted Board on 5th July. His resignation follows public concerns about the activities of his employer GSK. Paul did not want any negative press interest to detract from the excellent work of Ofsted and therefore resigned. As far as Ofsted is concerned the matter is now concluded.

Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Alan O'Neal
Customer Service Advisor
Ofsted - National Business Unit

Earlier|Later|Main Page

1 comment:

Fid said...

I'm still not happy about this, something just doesn't quite sit right with me.

I'm awaiting an answer from Ofsted as I sent them a follow-up email to the one shown on your blog Aubrey:

From: "fiddaman"
To: "enquiries@ofsted.gov.uk" enquiries@ofsted.gov.uk

Sent: 10/07/2008 13:41:44
Subject: Re: Appointment of GSK Vice President to Ofsted


Dear Mr. O'Neal,

Thank you for getting back to me on this matter.

I am quite surprised that there was no press release about this... unless of course I have missed it?

Do Ofsted plan to make a press release?

I have also just read a statement of Paul Blackburn from the GlaxoSmithKline webpage.

It appears that it was at Ofsted's request that he resigned... can you confirm this?

Could you also tell me whom I make enquiries to at Ofsted regarding requesting information under the FOI Act?

Many thanks

Bob Fiddaman